Apprentice Electricians - Victoria, BC
Under the supervision of the Electrical Superintendent, apprentice electricians cut, thread, bend, assemble, and install conduits and other types of electrical conductor enclosures and fittings. They pull wire and cable through conduits, position, maintain and install distribution and control equipment such as switches, relays, circuit breaker panels, and fuse enclosures, install single and multi-wire cables above and underground, install data cabling, and install and maintain fibre optic and signalling systems. This position requires knowledge of the heavy construction industry. Specifically the practices, procedures, techniques, tools and equipment, materials, specifications, quality control and safety associated with this industry.
- Assemble, install, test, and maintain electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, apparatus, and fixtures, using appropriate hand tools and power tools.
- Connect wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components.
- Inspect electrical systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to identify hazards or locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem and ensure compliance with codes.
- Advise management on whether continued operation of equipment could be hazardous.
- Plan layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures, based on job specifications and local codes.
- Work with and maintain all tools in a safe manner
- Respect and respond to direction given
- Perform other related duties, including minor duties of other trades where certification is not required and the work does not exceed own limitations.
- Experience working in a heavy construction environment
- Must be a registered Construction Apprentice Electrician
- Ability to read blueprints and drawings
- Experience working with rigid galvanized conduit, cable tray, high voltage systems, EMT conduit, motor controls
- Experience with MCC and PLC wiring
- Knowledge of safe operation of tools
- Knowledge of workplace safety procedures
- Valid WHMIS, Elevated/Aerial Work Platform and Working at Heights/Fall Arrest certificates are required