HSE Officer - Victoria, BC
Reporting to the Corporate HSE Manager, the HSE Officer’s role is to work in cooperation with project management to achieve safety related goals & objectives and ensure a safe working environment. Act as a coach/mentor/facilitator to assist management in fulfilling their safety related responsibilities. Develop and implement the project safety plan. Conduct inspections and incident investigations and ensure corrective actions are completed.
- Liaise with Project Management on a daily basis so as to foster, promote and develop a positive safety culture within NAC.
- Monitor and enforce safety adherence to company HSE Management System by all employees as well as subcontractors.
- Provide safety training as required.
- Maintain a high level of safety awareness and performance at work sites.
- Investigates all incidents and near misses.
- Liaise with Health Claims Coordinator to facilitate Return to Work Program when required.
- Assist in the ongoing review of risk assessments and safe working practices.
- Facilitate the provision of and maintenance of records in relation to all Project HSE training including WHMIS, toolbox talks, orientations
- Complete all daily, weekly HSE documentation /record keeping requirements as directed within the HSE Management system, including maintaining computerized program.
- Other duties as required.
- Willingness to relocate if required.
- Working hours will reflect project operational requirements.
- This position will involve office and field work.
- Minimum of a Diploma/Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent.
- 3-5 years progressive work experience in Construction preferably heavy civil projects
- Knowledge of Provincial Health & Safety legislation and standards
- Familiarity with municipal projects involving heavy civil, mechanical and electrical works is a required asset.
- Work respectfully and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external partners; being inclusive, encouraging participation of all members
- Proficient computer software skills
- Superior leadership, communication and interpersonal skills in dealing with a wide range of individuals
- Requires effective written and oral communication skills
- Valid WHMIS, First Aid, Health and Safety Awareness Training for Workers and/or Supervisors certificates are required.
- Willing to travel within Canada