Civil Superintendent - Windsor, ON
Reporting to the Project Manager, the Civil Superintendent will have experience working on heavy construction projects - ideally Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants. The successful candidate will be eager to apply their experience and knowledge of civil construction practices, to a long-term career in a rapidly growing construction company.
- Build and maintain a good work ethic and working relationship with the site team, entire project workforce including subcontractors, suppliers, owner and engineer; encourage positive morale.
- Be knowledgeable in your trade for the project and ultimately accountable for the end result.
- Strong background in concrete placing and formwork.
- Responsible for the thorough working knowledge of the estimate and the applicable material and labour cost codes.
- Proficient in scheduling of tradespeople to ensure sequencing of the trade work is optimized to achieve best financial results.
- Execute the highest level of coordination with other trades so as not to delay the overall work.
- Properly plan, monitor, inspect and follow up on material and equipment deliveries so not to impede the progress of the work.
- Accountable for proper material storage, protection, and maintenance
- Be responsible for the day-to-day interaction of sub-contractors' work.
- Responsible for the planning, inspection, proper use, care and control of all tools for this trade work.
- Be responsible for site organization & cleanliness of work areas, materials storage and tool cribs.
- Organize and control material purchases to effectively manage quantities allowing for low levels of surplus, waste, unnecessary costs due to abuse and inventory levels.
- Provide draft written planning aid to the Project Superintendent weekly, in preparation of the weekly Planning Aid meetings.
- Prepare and approve time sheets.
- Understand and administer the terms of the collective agreement and NAC’s policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of contract drawings and specification interpretation necessary to effectively purchase and carry out the work.
- Accountable for understanding and executing all assigned items on the Project Overview Report, Financial Opportunities and Risk Log.
- Identify quality, quantity and scope changes to the Contract and communicate to the Project Superintendent and Trade Operations Manager. Assist the Project team in preparing claims for extra work as well as advising them of possible savings due to changes in the work, etc.
- Ensure all work performed is within the contract and that all additional work is not executed.
- Responsible for providing the trade specific technical expertise to the project management team for implementation of RFIs, RFS, CRX, commissioning plans and requisitions. Ensure the focus remains in the field.
- Responsible to maintain current record drawings (as-built drawings) for this specific trade work; drawings to be updated at least monthly.
- Understand and interpret NAC’s contractual obligations for the specific area of responsibility. Accountable for meeting the project specific Quality Plan and providing a final product that meets the requirements of NAC’s contract with the Owner.
- Work closely with the Project Superintendent, Project Manager, and the applicable Trade Operations Manager to assist in the preparation, monitor and update schedules (both Project Schedule and Planning Aids) to ensure dates are met or improved upon.
- Assist and participate in recruiting potential candidates, approval for new hires and ensuring smooth transition and training for new hires.
- Ensure workforce is given clear direction and expectations re: safety, quality, productivity, performance, conduct, etc., are understood
- Enforce accountability for meeting production targets starting with the Foreperson through to the lead hand and workforce.
- Encourage and promote open communication and trust with the workforce; lead by example.
- Provide regular performance feedback to your workforce. Coach and Discipline when necessary.
- Civil trade certification and 3-5 years of construction experience or an equivalent combination of technical training & experience
- A minimum of 5 years of trades supervisory experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficient with Excel/software for labour tracking and productivity planning (Primavera is an asset)
- Experience in managing direct labour and multiple sub-contractors
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health, Safety Act.
- Ability to lead and assess trade performance on the job
- Able to quickly identify problem situations, evaluate alternative causes and produce workable solutions
- Strong communication, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Results-oriented with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and timelines
- Survey Layout experience is an asset