Labourer (level 4) - Newcastle, ON
The Civil Construction Labourer – 4; plays a crucial role in the successful completion of North America Construction (1993) Ltd./NAC Constructors Ltd. construction projects. This individual will be heavily involved in the construction process and perform tasks involving physical labour for heavy construction projects, including site preparation, maintenance, demolition and building of construction materials. Working in confined spaces, rigging and scaffolding are core functions of this role. The Civil Construction Labourer - 4 must perform all work to regulated organizational, provincial and federal standards and procedures. The ability to adhere to the highest standards of safety & quality are mandatory. The Labourer – Level 4 position is a graduated career succession from the Labourer 1, 2 & 3 positions.
- Perform work in accordance with all organizational, provincial and federal health and safety standards and legislation, ensuring highest standard of safety is upheld.
- Perform daily site assessments, including identification of potential work site hazards.
- Prepare work areas for installation, performing all necessary excavation preparation.
- Perform required excavations to create trenches utilizing equipment or when necessary through manual digging.
- Perform site preparation and clean up duties.
- Manually or through the use of equipment, place materials accurately and according to drawings and/or direction.
- Assist with the placement and stripping of formwork as required.
- Perform concrete placing and demolition and chipping of concrete.
- Rebar placing and while ensuring the importance of cover as per specifications.
- Maintain organizational services, facilities, and equipment.
- Engage in all forms of labouring to assist in the successful completion of construction projects from start to finish.
- Tend to and operate a variety of machines and equipment necessary for the job, including light excavation equipment.
- Assist carpenters and various other trades as necessary.
- Relevant heavy construction experience.
- Carpentry trade related skills are an asset.
- Effective verbal communication skills.
- Active listening skills considered essential.
- Ability to take and follow instruction.
- Knowledge of safe operation of tools.
- Knowledge of workplace safety and safe lifting and handling procedures.
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner.
- Experience in formwork and concrete placement.
- Able to maintain construction heaters.
- Scaffold dismantling.
- The ability to read specification and blueprints is considered an asset.
- Respect diversity - treat others with respect.
- Valid WHMIS, Health and Safety Awareness Training for Workers and Working at Heights/Fall Arrest certificates are required.