Manager of Engineering - Morriston, ON
The Manager of Engineering is directly responsible for overseeing engineering initiatives and projects within the organization. They lead the development and deliverables of the department including: budget, schedule, performance management, hiring, recruiting and ensuring training necessary for projects are completed. The Manager of Engineering coordinates and directs projects, staff and sets goals, budgets and timelines for active projects.
- Work to lead and deploy NAC's internal engineering department in line with the company's vision for expansion.
- Coordinate and direct projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities.
- Lead the implementation, maintenance and accountability for the engineering quality control system.
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department.
- Remain current with requirements and good practices to maintain company’s Certificate of Authorization to practice engineering.
- Analyze technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects.
- Direct, review, and approve product design and changes.
- May provide consulting technical services to outside firms as a revenue-generating department.
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, and making decisions about the purchase of materials or services.
- Review and recommend or approve contracts and cost estimates.
- Present and explain proposals, reports, and findings to clients.
- Establish design schedules consistent with construction objectives and available engineering work-hour resources.
- Direct the coordination of special projects for the Engineering Department.
- Source and direct external engineering resources and required for larger projects or specialty skill sets.
- Supervises bid process; after budget approval, assigns projects to engineering staff; sets priorities and adjusts workload accordingly.
- Ensures projects are implemented in accordance with NAC’s purchasing, Request for Proposal (RFP) and contracting procedures.
- Provides technical oversight and coordination of project engineering work; through project coordination meetings and other means.
- Monitors progress against project schedules and budgets; recommends allocation of resources as required to accomplish goals.
- Reviews inspection reports and assists in the resolution of field construction problems.
- Monitors engineering aspects of facility start-ups; ensures project start-up plans and required documentation is completed and coordinated with Operations Department personnel.
- Prepares the annual budget request for the program; estimates staffing, equipment supply needs based upon recent trends and planned activities.
- Monitors expenditures after budget adoption.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates; Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems -- Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Develop and maintain a program to provide mentorship and applicable relevant experience to Engineer’s-in-Training (EIT’s) within the organization.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- 5+ years of Engineering Management experience
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada required
- Entrepreneurial spirt
- Demonstrated understanding of engineering theories and principles
- Able to communicate ideas and recommendations to non-engineer team members in a clear manner
- Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Engineering standards
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization, including executives
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills
- Able to create alternative solutions to problems
- Excellent time management and project management skills
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures
- Effective leadership skills required