Project Superintendent - Ontario
Responsible for all aspects of the project’s safety, budget, schedule, and general performance. This includes mentoring, coaching and supervising superintendents/field personnel, selecting construction methodology, and directing subcontractor coordination. They must also ensure that all work is safe, of high quality and that all company and client procedures are being met.
- Provide overall construction management for the work of all divisions, supervisors (civil, mechanical, and electrical), subcontractors with holding all trades accountable for their work with respect to HSE, quality, production, schedule and within budget.
- Main contact on site for the Owner, Consultant and Engineer.
- Aware of the full scope of work on the project, Vendor PO’s and Subcontractor Agreements.
- Responsible for implementation and supervision for project equipment start-up and commissioning, formal plan, equipment control log, red/green tagging etc.,
- Advise Project Manager of potential problems, work interferences and schedule difficulties.
- Lead project meetings with internal and external parties to monitor and support the project’s ongoing progression.
- Accountable for understanding, addressing and executing all assigned items on the Project Overview Report along with the Financial Opportunities and Risk Log.
- Responsible for the complete, thorough working knowledge of the estimate and all cost codes and be accountable to the Project Manager for meeting or beating the codes.
- Assist the Project Manager to prepare and update schedules to ensure dates are met and improved upon. Conduct weekly Planning Aid meetings and distribute plan.
- Identify quality, quantity and scope changes to the Contract and communicate to the Project Manager.
- Assist the Project Manager in preparing claims for extra work as well as advising them of possible savings due to changes in the work, etc. Review and approve all work outside the original contract.
- Understand and administer the terms of the collective agreement and NAC’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure adequate resources (internal, subcontractor, equipment & materials) are on site to meet planned dates and overall schedule milestones.
- Manage Sub-Contractor(s) performance, quality and contractual agreements.
- Responsible for project closeout including preparation of in house detailed deficiency/incomplete work lists including timely completion and sign off of each item.
- Conduct ongoing observations of worksite to identify areas of opportunity for improvement.
- Manage the work on site to ensure the compliance of the contract with the Owner.
- Ensure all required permits are in place.
- Track all project costs to ensure completion within budget.
- Ensure maximum project profitability.
- Encourage and promote open communication and trust with the project team and workforce; lead by example. Boost worksite morale to see that employees are satisfied workers with a genuine interest in their own success and the project’s success.
- Provide regular performance feedback to direct reports as well as the workforce. Coach and Discipline when necessary.
- Identify and develop internal employee(s) with the potential to fill other Superintendent roles.
- Construction related degree/diploma and/or trade qualification, and a minimum of 5 years' of heavy construction experience, or an equivalent combination of technical training & experience.
- Previous experience supervising multi-discipline tradespeople.
- Experience with managing a project schedule, preparation, documentation and overall management.
- Knowledge of various construction disciplines, safety regulations, scheduling, planning, cost control & engineering drawings.
- Able to quickly identify problem situations, evaluate alternative causes and produce workable solutions.
- Able to lead a large team to successful completion.
- Strong communication, integration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Dedication to health and safety in the workplace.
- Results-oriented with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and timelines.